Admissions for Reception 2021 - Please see updates in November
Home Page
  • Translate
  • Search

Coronavirus Update - 10 March 2020

Please see letter below from the Headteacher, Mrs Claire Harrison regarding an update about the Coronavirus.  


Tuesday 10th March 2020


Dear Parents/Carers,


You will have seen on the news last night that we are heading towards the second phase of the Coronavirus outbreak over the next 10-14 days. I will endeavour to keep you up to date with any additional guidance that we receive.


Our children on the whole are robust, and are only likely to experience a mild version of the illness. However, I am very aware that we have some children and families who have higher vulnerability to the virus and I am doing everything that I can to minimise risk to them as well as to staff.


The latest guidance has suggested that when we move in to the next phase, families will be expected to self-isolate for 7 days if they develop symptoms of a respiratory tract infection or a fever. This is not the case yet and we would ask you to continue with our usual absence procedures for now. However, if you or child does have symptoms of the Coronavirus, we would ask you to contact 111 and then let us know the outcome of that individual advice.


We are continuing to be vigilant with the additional handwashing and the other control measures that we put in place last week. In the meantime, we are putting additional measures in place to try to reduce the risk of the spread of the illness.


From today we will

  • Be restricting the number of visitors we have to the school to only those who are essential for the day to day provision of education of the children and the safe running of the school. For example, we have cancelled some Governor training that we were due to host tomorrow evening and other staff training that was due to take place with other schools.  This also includes parent helpers not attending until further notice.
  • Be removing sand, water and playdough areas of provision from Reception and Year 1.
  • Be postponing the Class Dynamix performance that was planned for Year 4 children and parents across the WVLP Trust.
  • Postpone any sports fixtures with other schools - including tomorrow’s netball match.
  • Postpone any meetings for parents on site until further notice.


From Monday 16 March, we will be

  • Cancelling multi sports on Tuesdays and Thursdays until further notice. The school will have to stand the cost of the sessions for those parents that request a refund.
  • Cancelling the Wetherby High Sports club on Mondays for the rest of the term.
  • Postponing curriculum sports coaches who support PE lessons during the day.
  • Following advice on whether a school trip/residential will be able to take place. Friday’s Y3 trip is still on at the moment.
  • Closing the school bank on Tuesdays until further notice.
  • Stopping swimming for Y4s. Thursday 12th March will be the last session.

Please note that the additional Y6 sessions with Miss Pickles after school will take place as planned unless we are advised otherwise. Children will be bringing home a separate letter about this.


We would like to thank you for your continued support as we try to negotiate what is the best way to tackle what is an unprecedented event in our generation.


Yours sincerely,


Mrs Claire Harrison

Head Teacher